Since I wasn’t able to make it on Saturday, I thought I’d post about my progress. I wasn’t able to do section 4 because I don’t have one of the threads yet, but I’ve finished the rest. I made a little change in section 5 — after stitching it according to the instructions, I decided that there was too much of the canvas color showing, so I added horizontal laid stitches in the Kreinik, tucking them under the already-stitched crosses. I’m glad I did — it looks better with less canvas showing, and the increased amount of orange actually tones down the turquoise of the crosses. You can’t tell that in the photo, but in person the color really did change.
I finished Stars so that I could start on Autumn Kaleidoscope! I knew John and I were heading to the lake for a few days of skiing and relaxing, so I wanted to be able to start stitching Autumn Kaleidoscope this weekend. Since I didn't like the purple and blue highlights in the original but liked the base colors, I changed the overdye to use 2 colors from ArtFabrik – Fall Maple and Pumpkin Patch. They have similar colors but each was missing at least one color I wanted but combined, they were exactly what I wanted. I'm alternating which color I use as I stitch the inner border and it seems to be working. For my “pop” colors, I changed the purple to cranberry and the blue to yellow/gold.
When I went to start stitching, I realized I did not have any of my #8 Pearl Cotton so I was extremely disappointed thinking maybe I couldn't start after all. Then I realized I could baste the outline so I would have the proper counts to do the inner borders. No problem, right?! What I didn't realize as I started the inner border was that I had basted the outer part of the outer border Smyrnas. I thought I'd checked my counts of Star stitches but apparently mis-counted on the first diagonal row. I was going to start in the Chilly Hollows in section 1, but my counts weren't t working. Aha! Fortunately, I mostly counted from the top border and I'd only stitched the top quadrant so I only had a few stitches on the left border and one vertical row of Star stitches to take out.
So here I am at this point. January sections done! Lots of Smyrnas and Star stitches to go! I'm really enjoying the piece – other than the borders, it seems to be a quick workup. Another great choice for our SOTM!
Diane's with January sections
Hi Everyone —
We had quite a turn-out for a dreary February day. It is a testament to how excited all of us are to be doing Lorene Salt’s “Kaleidoscope”. Unfortunately, I was a little slow in getting my camera out and a number of folks left before I could snap a photo. I hope they will post individually to this blog!
Here are a few of the Kaleidoscopes followed by the close-up detail of today’s stitching. Many of us can now put this piece away until March — it is so exciting to be able to complete the month’s stitching in one long afternoon!
Group Photo — Clockwise from Far Left (Sue R, Robin, Sylvia, Rosie, Tina)
Margaret and Barbara L are continuing to work on “Stars of the New Millennium” by Tony Minieri and last year’s SOTM selection.
Margaret on Left; Barbara L on Right
Dee is continuing “A Different View” by Kurdy Biggs and our second SOTM selection. We figured out that this is our sixth year!
Dee’s Different View
A new year and a new project! This year’s NJNA Stitch-of-the-Month is Autumn Kaleidoscope by Lorene Salt. There are 19 NJNA members stitching this project over the next year. And we have a few more members working on projects from previous years making this our largest group yet! We all have a great time stitching and chatting every month.
Autumn Kaleidoscope – Original Colorway
The January session saw 16 of our members get together on a sunny Saturday. The instructions arrived from Lorene in plenty of time to be sorted into packets for distribution. Eight of us ordered kits from A Stitching Shop in Denver and the threads arrived beautifully packaged on Thursday. However, the box with the canvases was somehow delayed (I am always amazed at package logistics). Upon checking the tracking number on Friday we found that the box had arrived in Newark but apparently didn’t want to go any further.
Threads – Original Colorway
That didn’t daunt our intrepid group – we oohed and aahed over the threads and especially the threads for those who are stitching their own colors. These pieces are going to be amazing!
The day was saved when the doorbell rang and the cavalry – in the guise of the US Postal Service – arrived with the canvases! The stitching soon followed. As you can see we had a great group of stitchers!
Stay tuned to see our progress each month!
Happy Stitching …