For the past month I’ve been working on Toni Gerdes’s “Klimt Kimono” through CyberPointers, and I finished it yesterday! It was fun to stitch…the most difficult part was keeping track of the floss threader, the re-purposed tool for getting the gold gimp thread used for the tree branches through enlarged holes in the canvas. 🙂 I dropped it several times and thought I was in trouble, until I discovered that a flashlight helped to locate it against the dark tweedy background of the carpet where I was stitching.
I have a partially-finished Wright Kimono in my stash, and I’m going to be doing the O’Keeffe Kimono as part of the virtual ANG Seminar, so I guess I have to stop saying that “I’m not really a kimono person”!
This piece is David McCaskill’s “Warmth of Color” that appeared in the January/February 2020 NeedlePointers. As soon as I saw it, I knew I wanted to stitch it, and immediately started gathering supplies…good thing! Orange isn’t usually my favorite, but for some reason this just called out to me.
It’s been a lot of fun to stitch (a good companion to my operas 🙂 and I’ve learned some things. I’d never stitched on dyed canvas before, so that was interesting…Had to really pay attention when putting the canvas on the stretchers to make sure I didn’t stretch it out of whack…and had to be careful of my tension when stitching.
Three pieces started, three pieces finished!
If anybody is looking for another project to stitch (!), EGA is offering an online counted piece by Margaret Bendig…take a look here:
The supplies it calls for are mostly floss, though of course you could choose other threads if you wanted. The cost is $35, but you do need to be an EGA member to sign up.
I’m still watching operas every day…plenty of stitching time! I’ve started something new. The pillow on my regular stitching chair is literally falling apart, so I’m doing a wool basketweave lumbar pillow… It’s easy stitching while I’m trying to read the subtitles on my laptop…this past week was Wagner week, and my German is just barely above non-existant. Now in addition to knowing how to say, “What is your name?” and “I don’t speak German,” I know how to say “toad.” Should come in really handy.
I finished knitting this pair of socks last night…I call them my “watermelon socks.” Not needlepoint, but still…
Several more operas down, and my zebra is finished!
Each morning I have been watching operas streaming free on metopera.org — and stitching. You may remember my completed ice skating polar bear — now I have a zebra in boots and a flap hat. See a theme? So far, Carmen, La Bohème, and Il Trovatore have gotten me this far:
My first class ever with Lois Kershner, and it was wonderful! The piece is a photograph she took of a waterfall at Mt. Whitney, transferred to Congress cloth, and then stitched. LOTS of detail, and choices to be made about where stitched areas start and stop, and a fair amount of the dreaded random placement of things…think I’m getting over the all-too-common fear of random!
Lois is a wonderful teacher and her directions are wonderful, some of the best I’ve ever seen. I wish there had been more than two days for this class so I could have kept on stitching…it always seems like you get such a tiny amount done in class! But I have no doubt that I’ll be finishing this one. She also demonstrated the process of doing the photos transfer onto the canvas, so that we might try it with our own photos.
Here’s what my piece looks like after two days…
Kind of nice to get all the stitching done on meeting day…
Strangely enough, given that this was (almost) all the same stitch, I had fun stitching this! And I’m very pleased with how it came out. A far cry from pastel flowers! Still haven’t decided what to do for the background, though.